What Is Mobile App Development?
- Mobile app development is the creation of software intended to run on mobile devices and optimized to take advantage of those products' unique features and hardware.
- The types of mobile apps that developers create include native apps, hybrid apps and HTML5 apps.
The creation of mobile applications has much of its roots in traditional software development. The end result, however, is software intended to utilize the unique features and hardware of mobile devices. Modern smartphones are equipped with Bluetooth, NFC, gyroscopic sensors, GPS and cameras. They can be used for virtual or augmented reality, barcode scanning, and more. Mobile apps should utilize the full range of smartphone features, which is easier said than done.
With desktop PC software development, programmers must create an application that can operate on a minimum set of hardware. The same goes for mobile applications, though the hardware variances in this instance are much more minimal. At the same time, the hardware in smartphones and tablets doesn't quite match that in laptops and desktop computers, which means mobile apps must be designed to show optimal performance
For example, a gaming app would be limited in its graphical elements because of the less powerful graphics processors in mobile devices. With that said, cloud computing is making it easier than ever to accomplish mobile gaming. Popular games such as Fortnite, Hearthstone and PUBG connect players across computers, phones and even consoles.
App development process
Regardless of the type of project you want to bring to life, the app development process has six key steps. Breaking the project down into these simple steps will help you develop your app quickly and efficiently.
- Idea: When brainstorming app ideas, put some research into answering a few questions about it. What problem does this app solve? Who is the target audience? Why are these features important? Do your competitors have similar apps.
- Design: Next you'll design a user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) to navigate the user through the app and make it easy to follow.
- Development: During this stage you'll write the code for your app, develop the code and start preliminary testing.
- Testing: By testing your app, you'll determine its quality, any malfunctions and what you can improve.
- Launch: Once your app is bug-free and ready to go, you can publish it on marketplaces like the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- Marketing: Create a marketing strategy to get users to download your app and give you feedback on how to improve user engagement.